Inclement Weather Campus Closure Notifications
To find out if there is a campus closure or delay in classes due to inclement weather, call the campus weather hotline at 717-749-6090, which will provide the official University statement. A PSUAlert message may also be texted to cellphone and email addresses. To register for PSUalerts, go to http://psualert.psu.edu Information will also be posted to the home page of the campus website at www.ma.psu.edu and local radio and television stations will be notified.
- If you observe a tornado, contact the University Police at 717-749-6070
- The University Police will confirm the threat:
- Tornado watch: weather conditions are favorable for a tornado to occur
- Tornado warning: a tornado has been confirmed in the vicinity
- The University Police will contact the Director of Business.
- The Director of Business and the University Police will determine a course of action based on the type of threat.
- Department Directors will be advised of the potential threat and instructed to advise their respective employees of the circumstances.
- The Director of Business will advise the campus community of the threat and will inform them that the situation is being monitored.
If the watch status is not upgraded:
- Routine operations will be resumed at the scheduled termination time.
- The Director of Business will advise the campus community that the tornado watch has expired and routine operations have been resumed.
If the tornado watch is upgraded to a tornado warning:
- Department directors will be advised of the warning and instructed to have all employees move to a safe zone* within their respective buildings.
- The Director of Business will advise the campus community of the tornado warning and instruct all personnel to move to a safe zone.
- The emergency response team will be assembled at the University Police station if necessary as determined by the Director of Business and the University Police.
- University police officers will assist in the relocating of personnel within all academic facilities to safe zones. If the emergency occurs after operating hours, University police officers will assist Residence Life staff with relocating personnel to safe zones within the residence halls.
- Residence Life staff will assist in relocating of personnel within all residence hall facilities to safe zones.
*Safe zones will be at the lowest point of a building in areas within corridors, basements or interior rooms that are away from windows. Avoid locations with a wide span roof such as auditoriums and cafeterias. Avoid the corners of rooms and corridors as they tend to gather debris.
When the tornado warning has expired:
- The Director of Business will advise the campus community when the tornado warning has expired and routine operations can be resumed.