Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Admission Requirements

The minimum high school units required for admission to associate degree programs are as follows:

English—Four units; these must include a composite of one unit each in composition and literature.

Foreign Language/Social Studies/Art/Humanities—Five units in any combination of foreign language, social studies, arts, and humanities are required. These units may include advanced placement courses in the arts.

Science—Two units of science are required. One unit each in biology and chemistry is recommended for admission to Medical Laboratory Technology and required for admission to Nursing. Applicants to the Physical Therapist Assistant program should have one unit in biology and one other science unit.

Math—Two units of mathematics are required.  (one unit of algebra and one additional unit of mathematics)

There is no minimum grade point average that guarantees admission into the Human Development and Family Studies program.  The candidates with the strongest academic records are admitted into the HDFS program, so the mix of successful candidates changes from year to year depending on the number of candidates from each type of applicant group; first year, transfer, change of major and reenrollment. The minimum grade point average of successful candidates will also change from year to year depending on the strength of the pool of candidates’ academic records.


Admission Procedure

The HDFS program uses a rolling admission procedure with a recommended application filing date of November 30 in the year prior to the start date. The program will continue to review students after the recommended filing date; however the program may fill before the end of the academic year. Students are encouraged to apply online at www.admissions.psu.edu by the recommended filing date to be considered with spaces available. Along with the application for admission, students must submit an official high school transcript, SAT or ACT scores (first year students only), and a transcript from any other institution attended (advanced standing students only). All materials should be forwarded to the admissions office to be added to the application.